Forums Managing Risk in Complexity SIG
(MRC SIG)
Working Group B: What principles are important in dealing with complexity?

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 472 total)
  • Author
    Participant
      @ian-mack
      Up
      ::

I On the matter of new topics that WG B might consider, would offer two potential new risk-related questions for consideration – one from my own experience and one building on comments by Richard Barber:

(1) Unique Attributes of a Complex Project Mindset – When you are talking to seniors about getting engaged for the first time in complexity, what are the rather unique attributes of a complex project’s mindset or model that will best prepare them for the challenges they will face?

(2) Building Trust in Complex Project Risk Treatment Systems (Note – I prefer ‘treatment’ systems to ‘management’ systems when dealing with complex projects because you will realise so many risks) – How do you develop the necessary trust in the leadership team (from project to governance and organisational) and those engaged in developing and supporting the risk treatment system to enable the buy-in needed for effective mitigation of risks and for early consideration of issue management for realised risks?

Sebastian Winter
      SIG Community Manager
        @stephen-suminguit
        Davin Shellshear
        SIG Chair
          @davin-shellshear
          Up

Hi Goup B

Attached are the transcripts from Today’s meetig

happy reading

Cheers

Davin

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Stephen Grey
          Participant
            @stephen-grey
            Up

Richard

The paper seems to have failed to upload

Steve

The problem is the file size – ICCPM only allows files around 3MB to be uploaded

David – can you provide the link so we can get it from the source?

Cheers

Davin

Richard Barber
            Participant
              @richard-barber
              Up

HI,

In the meeting today (14 Oct) David Preller suggested it would be worth looking at the report from a national study of infrstructure risk.  Here it is.

Stephen Grey
              Participant
                @stephen-grey
                Up

For those able to seek a small number of additional survey responses, the link to send people is

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/WGB_V2

If there are any issues with this don’t hesitate to contact me via this forum or directly

Mobile  +61 412 223 256

grey@broadleaf.com.au

Stephen Grey
                Participant
                  @stephen-grey
                  Up

I mentioned earlier that the survey approach used to explore concerns about complexity draws heavily on the Cognitive Edge Sense Maker tool

I have built the same survey design in Sensemaker using my limited demo license

Anyone who is interested can see it and click through the questions here

https://collector.sensemaker-suite.com/collector?projectID=c2d95961-dc6f-4f56-bd99-4c96c3acbd67

See you tomorrow morning

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Stephen Grey.
                  Stephen Grey
                  Participant
                    @stephen-grey
                    Up

I am always inclined to cast the stakeholder net as widely as possible

Your comment did make me reflect that there is a difference between the people responsible for Governance, those very senior stakeholders, and the formal processes of Governance – policies, procedures and rules

Ian Mack
                    Participant
                      @ian-mack
                      Up

Thanks for the summary paper from 2014. It encompasses a lot of the critical aspects, but in very general terms. Still, it makes a good introductory paper for those unfamiliar with complex projects. – Ian

Ian Mack
                      Participant
                        @ian-mack
                        Up

Thanks Steven. I support your comments. I would suggest that “stakeholders” can indeed encompass senior governance levels? It was a useful survey indeed – Ian

Davin Shellshear
                        SIG Chair
                          @davin-shellshear
                          Up

Hi Team

I thought you may find the attached white paper of interest

Cheers

Davin Shellshear

Attachments:
                          Stephen Grey
                          Participant
                            @stephen-grey
                            Up

USING THE INITIAL SURVEY RESULTS

I don’t want to seed fixed ideas into the discussion but here are a few thoughts on the survey results.

1. I encourage everyone to look at the results, perhaps find a response you made in the appendix to the most recent notes and look at where your responses fall within the overall set of results.
                            2. While the weight of responses is towards matters concerning human interactions, there are a few in the technical, planning and design space.
                            3. Governance doesn’t rate much of a mention on its own but there a few that look like a mix of governance and stakeholder management.
                            4. It is interesting that while concern for data systems was not absent from the responses, it was not strongly rated in its own right, contrary to a common knee jerk response to complexity – measure and monitor more rigorously.
                            5. Thinking about the interface between this group and WGA, my initial thought is that support for teamwork, stakeholder relations and similar matters is perhaps a more important objective for tools seeking to support the management of complex projects than the Big Data style of systems. Visualisation and communication of complicated factors and relationships might be a point where synergy will arise.
                            6. The sliders show a strong interest in flexible governance and management but no clear lead on how to improve the way we manage challenging projects, whether to buy or build people who can deal with complexity.

With more inputs it might be possible to gain insights into some of the outliers.

Any thoughts on the survey exercise and process will be most welcome as well.

Davin Shellshear
                            SIG Chair
                              @davin-shellshear
                              Up

Thank you Stephen

The new results are much closer to where I expected them. I had answered right in the stakeholder corner and was confused why it didn’t show. All explained.

I value you honesty and integrity.

Thank you

Cheers

Davin

Stephen Grey
                              Participant
                                @stephen-grey
                                Up

Apologies once again for the messed up algebra affecting the initial results. I have redone the calculations and confirmed them by several means so I am now confident that the latest plots, in the attached document, are sound. This is more like they should have been from the start.

I probably couldn’t have done it if I tried but the mistake seems to have rotated the plots sixty degrees. Now that is fixed, the results seem a lot more plausible.

Team and stakeholder management is in fact the main focus, as I thought it would be. It is interesting to note that there are some outliers. These can be instructive – to see what makes something out of the ordinary, which can provide insights into the factors at work.

This cockup highlights the value of using a properly designed tool instead of hacking your own together. The Survey Monkey part was easy enough but the data analysis and display was not.

I am setting up the same design as this survey in a demo version of Cognitive Edge SenseMaker to show how it could be done. The demo version has a limit of 20 responses so if we wanted to go further with this I think we’d be looking at a basic SenseMaker licence.

Attachments:
                                Stephen Grey
                                Participant
                                  @stephen-grey
                                  Up

I am adding the latest survey results to the summary and I have spotted an error in the maths I used to turn the ternary co-ordinates into X-Y co-ordinates. I lifted it from something I did a couple of years ago and missed a point.

I am sorry about this. It doesn’t change the slider graphs or the primary data, just the way I have plotted it.

I’m alternating between kicking myself in the backside and reworking it. Should have the corrected charts out late today or over the weekend.

We have a total of twenty responses now although one did not use the ternary plots or the sliders, so it’s nineteen effective inputs.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Stephen Grey.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 472 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.