Forums Managing Risk in Complexity SIG
(MRC SIG)
Working Group B: What principles are important in dealing with complexity?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 483 total)
  • Author
    Participant
      @ian-mack
      Up
      ::

Hi all – Firstly, thanks to those last meeting participants who suggested references, and to those which  Davin offered. I found some interesting and ideas new to me. Over the last 30 months, the WG has offered much additional learning aside from our 5 question-driven projects (accompanied by four papers) – such supplementary learning being a tremendous opportunity that might justify continuing as a WG.

Perhaps I am just wearing out, but I only saw four new project opportunities in our last meeting:

– sustainability (and how to manage it), which really dominated the discussion in the last meeting

– related to the last one or perhaps included in it, transparency/PR with societal and affected neighbourhood stakeholder groups

– principle-based execution of complex projects, rather-than-or-polarity-sensitive  perspectives-driven and considerations-based approaches that we have employed up to now

– based on the last article that Davin offered, the importance of incorporating ‘fun’ into project execution and how it might be done

I suspect I missed some great new ideas from our last discussion and welcome all to chime in – with ones I missed, and with new ones that we have not tackled up to now. With luck, I hope to see you all n a week or so – we just did a time change in Canada, and many of you know how good I am at time changes – NOT!.  Ian

Davin Shellshear
      SIG Chair
        @davin-shellshear
        Up

Group B – time for a bit of fun?

Cheers

Davin

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Davin Shellshear
        SIG Chair
          @davin-shellshear
          Up

Hi Group B

I thought you may find the attached papers to be of interest, particularly in terms of lessons learnt and setting success factors.

Happy reading

Davin

Attachments:
          Davin Shellshear
          SIG Chair
            @davin-shellshear
            Up

Hi Group B

Attached is the transcript of our last meeting. Sorry for the delay – I have been very busy.

It is really good to hand over our paper on cross discipline issues to ICCPM – another product of our collective experience and wisdom.

The transcript has a number of suggestions for future topics, so happy reading and we will catch up at our next meeting.

Cheers

Davin

Attachments:
            Sebastian Winter
            SIG Community Manager
              @stephen-suminguit
              Up

Hello MRC SIG,

Through the ICCPM Research Support Program, we are supporting a study out of one of our Academic Partners, Western Sydney University. The study is titled ‘Developing a net-zero carbon project management competency maturity model for infrastructure projects in Australia‘, and the research team are conducting a survey which we would like to invite you to participate in.
              The survey should take 6 to 7 minutes to complete.

You can find more information on the study, here:
              https://iccpm.com/research/

And the link to the survey, here:
              https://surveyswesternsydney.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9FQSAsSbcO8WIYK

Sebastian Winter
              SIG Community Manager
                @stephen-suminguit
                Up

Hello everyone,

Ahead of the meeting tomorrow, this is a reminder to check your emails for the latest MRC SIG reminder email from ICCPM as the link for the meeting will change each time in order for the SIG to be opened by the Co-Chairs instead of ICCPM staff.

I will be online and ready to send the link through in case anyone has any trouble.

Kindly,
                Sebastian
                Marketing and Communications Coordinator

Ian Mack
                Participant
                  @ian-mack
                  Up

Thanks Davin.

I would like to meet this superhuman person! I think that it is a useful primer for project team leaders to consider employing as a way to guide their teams when their people are running too hard and fast in any direction when faced with an emerging complex (and always seemingly urgent) problem.

I took another of the many ‘good leadership’ lists (enclosed file) , and one might see all of these attributes within the attachment. The one that might be missing is patience unless it is under calm & thoughtful. And as always, any of these could be a weakness depending on the context.

Perhaps the ‘well rounded’ project execution team leader will someday be supported by an AI-generated avatar akin to DATA in Star Trek (now I am dating myself for sure …) – Ian

Attachments:
                  Davin Shellshear
                  SIG Chair
                    @davin-shellshear
                    Up

Hi Group B

I wondered what you might think of a recent blog I saw:

https://cutlefish.substack.com/p/tbm-274-how-capable-leaders-navigate?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=24711&post_id=142017363&utm_campaign=email-post-title&isFreemail=true&r=2ddplo&open=false&utm_medium=email

The discussion is attached in case you have difficulty accessing it

Cheers

Davin

Attachments:
                    Ian Mack
                    Participant
                      @ian-mack
                      Up

Hi Simon – I think Davin may have confused you by including in his post the draft of the ICCPM Thought Leadership topic for the coming year. That is not the Working Group’s paper as the paragraph mentioned is in ICCPM’s product. If you have any suggestions for the other paper (our Working Group paper), they are most welcome as possible amendments on cross-discipline considerations – in a post to the website, or at our meeting next week.    Ian

simon springate
                      Participant
                        @springates
                        Up

I really like the paper

My only suggestion is to move the paragraph “Reconceptualising Hierarch” to before procurement, I think it is the most attention-grabbing paragraph and draws in to the rest

Davin Shellshear
                        SIG Chair
                          @davin-shellshear
                          Up

Hi Group B

Our erstwhile scribe and producer of extraordinary documents (Ian Mack in case you hadn’t guessed) has worked tirelessly to update the paper on Cross-Discipline Engagement, drawing on our last meeting, etc. I have formatted the outcomes of his labours and the result is posted here.

Ian thinks, and I agree, that the paper is essentially done.

PLEASE read the paper before our next meeting so we can come to a finalisation of this topic.

I think this paper provides a great foundation for the next ICCPM Roundtable Series – ‘Rethinking Boundaries in Complex Projects’, so it would be really good if we are able to present our final paper as input into these Roundtable discussions.

Cheers

Davin Shellshear

Attachments:
                          Davin Shellshear
                          SIG Chair
                            @davin-shellshear
                            Up

Hi Group B

Attached is the transcript of our meeting on 8th February.

Happy reading

Cheers

Davin

Attachments:
                            Ian Mack
                            Participant
                              @ian-mack
                              Up

Thanks Davin. Not sure my Word Version 2002 will capture all the features, but I will work with what translates as best I can. See you soon – Ian

Davin Shellshear
                              SIG Chair
                                @davin-shellshear
                                Up

Hi Group B

I have formatted Ian’s paper into the official ICCPM format

I think

Cheers

Davin

Attachments:
                                simon springate
                                Participant
                                  @springates
                                  Up

OK – I have not read the document end to end yet but a couple of things jumped out

I do agree that the focus maybe drifting from our SIG remit and note the proposal;

“To better enable risk management of complex projects, what other disciplines or communities are essential to enabling the project enterprise’s leadership to achieve project success, and what unique adjustments should such disciplines consider to support project managers in navigating complexity?”

I trimmed it;

“What disciplines or communities are vital for effective risk management in complex projects and what changes should they make to assist project managers?

I then thought about the Assurance communities and how rules are expanding and making major projects more complicated.  The recent door plug and Boeing’s woes illustrate to me that increasing regulation, which the regulators can’t physically (financially) validate, pushes self-monitoring (the project checks itself).  Is this an example of how risk management of a complex program needs to be driven as much by stakeholders as the Project team?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 483 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.