Forums Managing Risk in Complexity SIG
(MRC SIG)
Working Group B: What principles are important in dealing with complexity?

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 480 total)
  • Author
    SIG Chair
      @rmcmartin
      Up
      Down
      ::

I came across this article today and thought I would share it.

Complicated and Complex are very different things! (danpronk.com)

Davin Shellshear
      SIG Chair
        @davin-shellshear
        Up
        Down

Hi Group B

I thought I might make a suggestion re our new topic.

I have noticed discussion from time to time regarding early signs of complexity/ spearing off into mud, or what are referred to as weak signals. If seems that this might be an interesting place to draw off our collective experiences. I have been reading a paper called ‘Identifying and Acting on Early Warning Signs in Complex Projects’ (see attached) which has probably influenced my thinking. Link:   https://www.pmi.org/learning/library/identifying-warning-signs-complex-projects-6259

If nothing else, this post might trigger alternative topics.

Cheers

Davin

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Davin Shellshear
        SIG Chair
          @davin-shellshear
          Up
          Down

CONGRATULATIONS to Group B

Attached is the final product of a year’s hard effort by Group B.

CONSIDERATIONS FOR ACHIEVING COMPLEX PROJECT DELIVERY

Thanks to all those who participated, and a particular thank you to the amazing work by Ian Mack in putting the document together progressively over the period, and undertaking the final editing process.

The document has been passed onto Colin Smith so ICCPM can consider how best to use this excellent outcome.

Once again, thank you all

Cheers

Davin Shellshear

Attachments:
          Davin Shellshear
          SIG Chair
            @davin-shellshear
            Up
            Down

Hi Group B

Attached are the notes from our meeting on 27th October. Apologies for the delay, I had uploaded the notes and took them down immediately when I realised I had to make some further edits. My bad!

So – please read and enjoy.

I remind members to post suggestions on potential new topics for the group. There was a lot of discussion around this in the meeting, so may I suggest reading the notes first.

Cheers

Davin

Attachments:
            Lizzy Smith
            Participant
              @serviceworksmith-com-au
              Up
              Down

hi Ian and Davin

Yes Davin is correct I used his highlighted version to add my comments. I attach a word version with my comments if that is easier.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Attachments:
              Davin Shellshear
              SIG Chair
                @davin-shellshear
                Up
                Down

Hi Ian – my bad

I had highlighted areas related to people’s behaviours for my own benefit, and forgot to remove them on the first post. I subsequently uploaded a new version without the highlights.

Unfortunately Lizzy used the first version for her work, so please ignore the highlights and regard as the ravings of an old man.

Cheers

Davin

Ian Mack
                Participant
                  @ian-mack
                  Up
                  Down

Hi Davin (and Lizzy) – I have accessed your document (Lizzy) and started the edits. There are places where sections are highlighted in yellow (at beginning of Annex A for example), but without any comment. Am I missing something?    Ian

Davin Shellshear
                  SIG Chair
                    @davin-shellshear
                    Up
                    Down

Hi Ian,

If you can identify what edits are needed, based on your review of Lizzy’s comments and other matters that have emerged since the formatted version was created,  I can update the formatted version accordingly.

Cheers

Davin

Ian Mack
                    Participant
                      @ian-mack
                      Up
                      Down

Hi Lizzy – It has fallen to me to address your proposed edits, I hope I am able to do them justice, and thanks for offering them!

Davin – I have an ancient version of WORDE and I am not sure I can actually do the edits and save a useful document that is useful to you and others. As time allows, I will try a sample to confirm, otherwise …    Ian

Ian Mack
                      Participant
                        @ian-mack
                        Up
                        Down

Hi all – Project lifecycle has reared its head again, a question that I think we are repeating. But let me give it a try.

Perhaps partially in response to Stephen’s ‘provocative’ comment, I always like to start with a definition, which for lifecycle not surprisingly focuses on ‘living’ things: ‘the series of changes or stages in the life of an organism’. Since projects have a start and end point – the attribute that separates them generally from ‘business as usual’ – they have a lifecycle. Furthermore, they are about introducing a change to some aspect of the business of a parent organization.

And as with organisms, there are project stages. I think we all agree with this much, so the question with complex projects is about whether there are discreet stages or whether there is a methodology that applies in all phases – or both.

The project stages are often defined in different ways but they typically include  the following 8 functions in a work breakdown structure (WBS): a requirement identification, a project set-up, an options analysis, an exploration and development of the selected option’s planned path forward, a cost and schedule assessment, an application of a solution methodology (e.g. development of a contract sourcing document, sourcing a supplier, and awarding a contract), the work to deliver the desired/contracted solution (including commissioning), a project close-out after delivery is complete. One function that I typically modify in the complex project’s WBS is cost and schedule deinition, which I show as continuous from its in its initiation early in the project across the entire lifecycle except ‘project close-out’.

The question we had already explored was whether and how complex projects differ than less complicated projects in terms of a linear execution of these stages or functions.

After our previous discussion, I summarized what I drew from our discussion and included it at the end of Annex B of the draft paper.  I suppose that could now be modified, to include a somewhat unique complex project methodology: “probe, sense, make sense and act based on continuous risk scanning for emergence”. I would offer the following:

“When dealing with the significant emergence as is typical of complex projects, the operative word is ‘rework’ to some degree of the project’s discrete WBS functions, as required in response to emergent events/behaviours identified through the collective, continuous and integrated risk scanning activity done by all members of the project enterprise: probe, sense, make sense and act. Furthermore, significant emergence needs to be represented by showing that project cost and schedule definition/assessment is a continuous process of work that runs parallel with all project stages until the project close-out stage starts.”

With luck, I will BE ON TIME for the next Group meeting.   Ian

Stephen Grey
                        Participant
                          @stephen-grey
                          Up
                          Down

Lizzy

I found out how to convert Pages files to Word

The converted file is attached

Steve

Attachments:
                          Stephen Grey
                          Participant
                            @stephen-grey
                            Up
                            Down

Lizzy

I am pretty sure the next session in Thursday next week, the 27th, not tomorrow

Lizzy Smith
                            Participant
                              @serviceworksmith-com-au
                              Up
                              Down

I have finally read the draft
                              <p class=”p1″><b>CONSIDERATIONS FOR ACHIEVING COMPLEX PROJECT DELIVERY</b></p>
                              ICCPM-2022-5-CPM-Considerations-Endnotes-V4-DS -formattting

An impressive body of knowledge collated to date

My comments (attached)  are mainly around editing and structure of the document for clarity /readability and some questions about the intent of a few statements. – I hope to discuss with you tomorrow morning.

Attachments:
                              Stephen Grey
                              Participant
                                @stephen-grey
                                Up
                                Down

I have been unable to attend the last two meetings so I might be off the pace a bit but the sense I had emerging from the conversation, and from Ian’s recounts of his experience, was that with a truly complex project it is advisable to essentially design your own approach to suit the job

That is not to say start from scratch but rather to assemble all the artifacts, tools, procedures and management structures we all know with appropriate tailoring and shifts of emphasis to give the work the best chance of success

Robert McMartin
                                SIG Chair
                                  @rmcmartin
                                  Up
                                  Down

While I do agree about the concept of a lifecycle, I am in two minds about it.

In one respect, a lifecyle shows a system that can be repeated many times and produce a consistent result (whether or not that result is positive or negative, I will leave that to the philosophers).

Whether it is Software, Project or Product, it merely highlights that these things operate in a cyclical fashion.

This is where I believe it would fall over on Complexity.  As the one thing we all agree on is that every complex project is complex in its own way and both how it became complex, either through emergence, or on establishment, means that the “normal” PM rules, nothing changes from the requirements of Cost, Schedule, and Quality, they are still the end result, but the path to achieve this becomes considerably more difficult (might I say complex).

As a PMO, my role is to create standards and guidelines for the projects to provide a consistent result, or at least monthly review to determine if the project is not only progressing and delivering, but also that we are still within budget.

Complexity, through emergence, or even from establishment, means that areas such as budget and schedule and possibly even deliverables are subject to change without notice.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 480 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.