Forums Managing Risk in Complexity SIG
(MRC SIG)
Working Group A: What practical, useful risk tools and methods are available that can help project managers to visualise and understand complex interconnected risks and their implications?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Participant
      @trevorlindars
      Up
      ::

[quote quote=12070]We had a good meeting on Wed 9th June. The meeting notes are attached. They are worth a quick read, especially if you weren’t able to be there. Some of the topics covered include:

• “What are we seeking to visualise and work on – individual risks or multiple risks?”
      • Predict! Risk visualisation tool.
      • Are we in the game of mega complexity, or much smaller?
      • Risk professionals – who and what?
      • Should we provide a decision tree for selecting risk tools?

Other Actions Arising: The following additional actions were suggested or agreed during the meeting:

• Trevor will upload a 2-page summary about the use of n-square matrices in systems engineering.
      • Richard will provide an overview of the “Systemic Bowtie” tool he mentioned.
      • Davin will have a look at what IRM’s SIG “Risk in Complexity” is doing and let the group know.
      • Richard will start a dialogue on the forum about the idea of a “decision tree”.

Regards, Richard[/quote]

N-Square Matrices info uploaded…

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Richard Barber
      Participant
        @richard-barber
        Up

We had a wide-ranging discussion in our most recent MRC SIG Working Group A meeting (7th July).  See the attached notes from the meeting. 

The key topics included:

• Integrating project schedule and risk
        • Using tools to provoke, enable and support investigation and dialogue
        • Characteristics of effective tools

Other topics touched on:

• The role of worldview
        • Cynefin and other models – can people use them?
        • Differing project priorities
        • Are there a few areas that are most challenging for project managers?
        • Essential Capabilities Maps (ECM)

Discussion about our Working Group:

• Three questions posed during our previous Working Group A meeting
        • How to provide initial feedback to ICCPM Members about our Working Group
        • Moving to meeting each three weeks (instead of fortnightly)
        Attachments:
        Davin Shellshear
        SIG Chair
          @davin-shellshear
          Up

Has anyone used the systems thinking tools ithink® (https://thesystemsthinker.com/ithink-the-visual-thinking-tool/ ? How well did it work for you?

I used to use this tool in the 80’s and 90’s –  in a different life, but have not used it since. I suspect it provides some valuable visual thinking capability to address systems issues. It comes from STELLA

Cheers

Davin

Trevor Lindars
          Participant
            @trevorlindars
            Up

Thinking about our potential magazine article, I feel we should consider the journey from managing risk in a simple project, thru’ complicated and into complex territory. We can explain what is fundamentally different for each type (allowing for the grey transition), how to recognise where we are operatig and what additional questions senior management should be asking in each scenario.

This approach would provide a framework for aligning the tools, that we have discussed, with those questions – indicating which provided best ROI (value vs effort required) and how they would be used to provided the responsiveness and perspectives required for dealing with emergent complexity.

Fundamentally, we need to help the reader understand when they may have entered a situation where the more familiar tools are inadequate and why; and then provide a considered pathway to safer territory.

On reflection, the key transitions described by, say, Cynefin suggest a risk management approach that progressively deals with independent (simple), interdependent (complicated) and scenario-based (complex) risks and treatments. The latter types describe situations where blind-spots are more likely and where tools that facilitate engagement and exploration (eg live what-if analysis) in broad stakeholder forums will be essential.

Perhaps we could mind-map this and use that as the framework for the article / recommendation.

Richard Barber
            Participant
              @richard-barber
              Up

Attached is a starting-point agenda for the Working Group A session later today (Wed 7th July, 5:30pm Canberra time).

Attachments:
              Richard Barber
              Participant
                @richard-barber
                Up

Yes Simon – but the only image we have is the one I included in the notes from the last meeting.   I’ll attach it here again.  If you want to use it, you might want to crop it to take out people’s images.   Shree will have better images, I am sure.   I’ll also send Shree’s email address to you.

Attachments:
                simon springate
                Participant
                  @springates
                  Up

Any chance we can get an ‘image’ of the early model as demonstrated plus I would like to make contact with Shree as I am very interested in the concept she is pursuing

Richard Barber
                  Participant
                    @richard-barber
                    Up

Hi,

The software demonstrated by Shree last week was a “pilot software” version developed at Curtin University.  As far as I know it has not been published and is not publicly available.    Shree is working with them to further develop the pilot software, so that it can be published as “open source”.   I’m not sure about the timeframe for that.

Shree is presenting an ICCPM webinar on this topic on 22 July.   Have a look at ICCPM’s upcoming events for the details.  When I last asked, Shree was unsure whether at the webinar she will still be using the pilot software to demonstrate, or will be able to show a later version.

Richard

Yazdi Bhote
                    Participant
                      @yazdi-bhote
                      Up

Afternoon Richard,

Hope you are well.

Can you please share the details about the software that Shree has used to display the wide spread linkages of a Risk during our previous forum?

Cheers

Yaz

Richard Barber
                      Participant
                        @richard-barber
                        Up

Shree Lakshmi has provided an email to me that we can use to contact her directly with specific suggestions about the risk visualisation software she demonstrated during our last meeting.

Please contact me and I will provide it to you.  I haven’t provided the email here because that would make it visible to a much larger group of people.

In general, all comments and suggestions are best placed on this thread – where Shree will see them automatically anyway provided that she is ‘subscribed’.

Richard Barber
                        Participant
                          @richard-barber
                          Up

My apologies for taking so long to get these notes out.  I’ve been heavily committed since last week.  Please have a look at the notes from the Working Group A meeting last Wednesday, and feel free to add comments and to extend the ideas.

Our next meeting will be on Wednesday 7th July at 5:30pm Canberra time.  An invite will be provided with the next email sent out by ICCPM.

Attachments:
                          Richard Barber
                          Participant
                            @richard-barber
                            Up

Here are the agenda slides for Meeting #4.

Attachments:
                            Richard Barber
                            Participant
                              @richard-barber
                              Up

Another topic discussed at the last Working Group A meeting was how project managers and other stakeholders can decide which tools/methods they can or should apply.

For discussion, attached is a powerpoint document with some quick thoughts to provoke discussion at the next meeting (Wednesday this week, at 5:30pm Eastern Australian Standard time).   In the meantime, feel free to download the document to add your comments, make changes etc.

Attachments:
                              Davin Shellshear
                              SIG Chair
                                @davin-shellshear
                                Up

Should we refer to ‘complex projects’, or ‘projects with aspects of complexity’. The discussion in Group B would seem to indicate the latter, with suggestions that the tools applicable to projects should align with the context – if this next part of the project is merely complicated (or even simple), then use tools appropriate to complicated (or simple) issues, and not tools applicable to complex issues. If this is true, how do we decide which aspects of the project are complex, complicated or merely simple? When do we make these calls? If complex, what form of complexity are we talking about – cultural, technical, goal, stakeholder, etc. – since the tools used will surely depend on the form of complexity we are dealing with? Do models for project complexity add any value in asking this question?

Richard Barber
                                Participant
                                  @richard-barber
                                  Up

I’ve noticed that we sometimes discuss what a complex project is.   This implies that some projects are complex and others are not – and also that if a project is ‘complex’ we should treat it differently.   I reckon that all human projects include aspects of complexity – and that even the most ‘complex’ mega projects inherently include simple and complicated situations within them.

We should talk about working in and on ‘project systems’ and the need to be alert to the level of complexity faced in any given situation.  In that context, tools and methods for working in and on complexity are of value to virtually all project managers and other stakeholders, to varying degrees.

What do you think?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.