The International Centre of Complex Project Management (ICCPM) seeks to translate contemporary research on the effective management of complexity into practical solutions for organisations faced with delivering complex projects internationally. These solutions have application across all industry sectors, corporate, NGO and government initiatives throughout the world. ICCPM is a partner and membership based not-for-profit organisation seeking to:
- Utilise global networks to develop and sustain effective relationships between CPM thought leaders, practitioners, subject matter experts, business and government within ICCPM’s interconnected networks and the wider complex project management community globally,
- Provide leadership in the advancement of knowledge and practice in the management of complex projects, so as to facilitate the adoption of new and emerging knowledge and practice by individuals and organizations.
- Deliver educational training for individuals and organisations, across all fields to enhance CPM knowledge, skills and capability in delivering complex projects and programmes.
- Function as a hub for drawing together the capabilities of its Associate Partner Network of research institutions and subject matter experts to develop and deliver customised, systemic, broad based solutions at organisational, program and project levels.
The establishment of ICCPM in 2007 was led by the Australian Department of Defence (Defence Materiel Organisation) with support from the UK Ministry of Defence, US Department of Defense, Canadian National Defence and Defence industry as part of the Australian Department of Defence’s Complex Project Management Initiative.
This initiative received support through both houses of the Australian Parliament via a Deed of Agreement between the Centre and the Defence Material Organisation when the then Minister Assisting the Minister for Defence and the Minister for Veterans Affairs, the Hon Bruce Billson, MP tabled the Notice Pursuant to Section 45 of the CAC Act (1997).
The rationale for establishing ICCPM agreed by the Australian Government was to create an independent, international, not-for-profit organisation that would support both government and industry’s capacity to better deliver complex projects. ICCPM provides this central and coordinating role by bringing together leading thinkers and practitioners in the complex project management sector from around the world.
ICCPM's key objectives are to:
- Develop and sustain effective collaborations;
- Educate and develop leaders and organisations on issues of complexity and managing complex programs; and
- Develop and disseminate practical knowledge and solutions.
A not-for-profit entity in the Australian context is an organisation that uses its surplus revenues to further achieve its purpose or mission, rather than distributing surpluses as profit or dividends to shareholders.
The ICCPM Vision is ‘to be the internationally recognised body, building capability in organisations to deal with complex environments’.
ICCPM delivers this vision through:
Professional Organisation and Network
As a professional organisation (network), ICCPM welcomes partners and members who have an interest in working toward better outcomes for society in the delivery of complex projects and programs. These outcomes can be linked to increased productivity, reduced failure (personally, professionally and organisationally), better budget outcomes, and most importantly, increased levels of capability.
Similar to organisations such as the Australian Institute of Project Management (AIPM), the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) or the Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI), individuals and companies belong to ICCPM in order to access the latest education and academic advancements, networking across organisations to share lessons and knowledge, and building a cohort that together can address some of the most complex projects in history.
Currently our partner and member base is small in comparison to other professional bodies however it is growing. Belonging to the ICCPM network encourages individual members, and to some degree corporations, to engage in continuing professional development to increase their capability to manage complex projects.
Learn More About ICCPM and Complexity
- ICCPM's Strategy Visualisation