Our vision is ambitious and challenging. We wish “to be recognised as the international Peak Body dealing with complex project delivery”, and we recognise that to make this a reality we need to inspire project professionals to appreciate the need for specialised support and guidance in managing project complexity.
The ICCPM mission is to “provide support to organisations and individual project managers to improve complex project delivery through training, thought leadership initiatives, stakeholder engagement and networking opportunities, expert advisory services, and other practical solutions.”
Through training, thought leadership initiatives, stakeholder engagement and networking opportunities, expert advisory services, and other practical solutions, ICCPM delivers its offerings guided by key business objectives:
- Develop and sustain effective collaborations with academic providers, industry and government to share knowledge and best practice on complex project delivery;
- Educate and develop leaders and organisations on issues of complexity and managing complex programs;
- Develop and disseminate practical knowledge and solutions to project and organisational professionals in interactive and flexible formats;
- Accelerate the growth and diversity of ICCPM’s membership base, to create an ever expanding and engaged community;
- Contribute to the advancement of research to advance complex project delivery engagement opportunities throughout the network.
The establishment of ICCPM in 2007 was led by the Australian Department of Defence (Defence Materiel Organisation) with support from the UK Ministry of Defence, US Department of Defense, Canadian National Defence and Defence industry as part of the Australian Department of Defence’s Complex Project Management Initiative.
This initiative received support through both houses of the Australian Parliament via a Deed of Agreement between the Centre and the Defence Material Organisation when the then Minister Assisting the Minister for Defence and the Minister for Veterans Affairs, the Hon Bruce Billson, MP tabled the Notice Pursuant to Section 45 of the CAC Act (1997).
The rationale for establishing ICCPM agreed by the Australian Government was to create an independent, international, not-for-profit organisation that would support both government and industry’s capacity to better deliver complex projects. ICCPM provides this central and coordinating role by bringing together leading thinkers and practitioners in the complex project management sector from around the world.